Symptoms & Assessment
- Unable to effectively throw a punch
- Attended on Thursday - needed to fight the following Saturday
- Examination showed decreased internal rotation of the shoulder to 0
- Diagnosis GIRD (glenohumeral internal rotation deficiency)
- Treatment addressed the biomechanics of his thoracic and shoulder rotation and elbow and wrist movement.
- Treatment consisted of mobilisation of his spine and shoulder, muscle energy techniques to repower his shoulder, soft tissue work, neuromobilisation, dry needling of the back of his shoulder and scapula.
- After an extended session on Thursday he regained 45 degree of rotation (60 on L), he was already pain free
- After another long session on Friday he regained full flexibility of his shoulder, elbow and wrist.
He was completely pain free during the fight on Saturday and went on to win.
His training programme was adapted after the fight to address the strength defects and muscle imbalance that had contributed to the problem.